The school aims to develop the potential of all its pupils, including those identified as having Special Educational Needs. Within the provision available in school, staff endeavour to provide full access to the curriculum. The management of the Learning Support Department is by a designated and appointed member of staff. There is a Governor for Special Educational Needs. Each curriculum area in the Senior School has a teacher dedicated to working alongside the Learning Support Co-ordinator to ensure that teaching and learning within each department is effective.
The department aims to:
- Identify, monitor and support pupils experiencing learning difficulties to reach their full potential.
- Provide support specific to individual needs.
- Ensure effective provision to achieve positive outcomes.
- Support transition through school.
English as an additional language (EAL)
EAL support is offered in order to ensure that pupils for whom English is not their first language obtain maximum access to the learning opportunities at the school.
EAL provision aims to ensure that:
- All pupils with English as an Additional Language are sufficiently challenged to reach their full potential at this school.
- All pupils with English as an Additional Language have maximum access to the curriculum wherever possible.
Overseas pupils with English as an Additional Language wishing to study at KGS are normally asked to demonstrate clear strengths academically and non-academically. This will usually be ascertained from school reports.
Pupils can study for the IELTS exam which British universities and many overseas universities require as a condition of entry for students with English as an Additional Language.