20 October 2022

Image of Sports Reports


KGS v Withington


The U12 teams took to the pitch displaying some great skill. The A team girls were quick to convert after great build-up play down the left side of the pitch. The goals just kept coming with Osborne, Guthrie and Jennings putting the ball away from various places in the 'D'. The game finished at 7-0. 

In the B team game things were a little closer - end to end play, with both teams battling for the ball! At half time the score stood at 2-1 to KGS but the game clearly wasn't over yet! In the second half great defending from Gisslow and Townsend set the forwards free to further test the Withington goalkeeper. After Withington converted to set the score level, there was only minutes left for KGS to react. A final goal from Burrows took the game to 3-2 at the final whistle. 


The U13 squad also had a very successful performance and meant business from the start whistle! Bailey converted first after various attacking runs. Constant pressure from the KGS side tested the Withington defence! The goals kept coming with Edwards and Ely pushing forward to apply pressure. The game finished at 7-0, another great result from a string KGS side.


KGS set out with the right attitude to work as a team and develop upon their own game plan from the previous week. The girls worked hard and kept the ball in their attacking end with some great attempts at goal, which were unfortunately unsuccessful. However, this made the girls more eager to keep trying to score. Withington had a few breaks towards KGS' defending goal but KGS' defence moved the ball around the back and up the wings. KGS kept progressing forward with a ball fired into the D with the finishing touch from Sophia. At half time KGS were 1 nil up.

The second half continued with the same speed and enthusiasm as the first. The girls worked their way up the pitch, moving the ball on quickly and supporting play. Two further goals were scored by Emily putting the score line 3-nil. Player of the game was awarded to Evelyn, who worked hard throughout the game and played some excellent balls and supported the team throughout.


The U15 team played Withington on Saturday 15 October away at UCLAN Sports Arena. The girls got off to a rocky start giving the ball away easily and not meeting 50/50 balls. However, KGS' defence stayed strong and there were some good saves from Isabella Durston. Jessica Jennings made some fantastic runs up the wing giving the forwards many opportunities to score, but they just couldn't put the ball away. After a positive half time talk the girls went out and did what they needed to do to secure the win. Again, Jessica Jennings made some great runs down the wing, slipping the ball into the D and eventually Lola Eccles put the goal away. This made the score 1-0 to KGS. KGS continued to play well with lots of attacking play and many shots on goal, however they were unable to find the back of the goal. The end result was 1-0 to KGS. 


1st XV at St Joseph's College Ipswich Tournament

The 1st XV squad made the long trip to Ipswich to participate in the National Schools Rugby Festival playing against some of the top schools from England, Scotland and Wales. After some group games, KGS qualified to the quarter final of the main competition after an excellent 22-3 victory against top Welsh school, Whitchurch High School. In this victory, young flanker, Alex Smith was in outstanding form and he was key to the win. Captain, Darren Low and Vice-Captains, Wils Austin and Cameron Scanlon, were also in excellent form. The quarter final verses Denstone College was a titanic struggle. With only a few minutes left on the clock, KGS had a 8-5 lead and seemed on their way to victory, but unfortunately made a tactical error at a crucial time. With seconds left, Denstone scored to win 10-8. After this loss, KGS using many of their reserve players to reach the final for fifth and sixth placed teams after a superb comeback win versus RGS High Wycombe, with a late winning try from Osian Roberts.

In the final against Wellington College, KGS worked to chase Wellington's 13-0 lead and, with time left, scored a well-constructed try from Efan Edwards - but despite further chances, KGS could not get the necessary score. This was a big learning experience for this young Kirkham side who, with a bit of luck, could have achieved something higher.

KGS U15s v QEGS Wakefield U15s National Cup Round 2 (pictured at the top of the page)

KGS took to the first team pitch once again to play QEGS Wakefield in the second round of the National Cup.  The conditions were tough for the whole game which favoured the skill of QEGS who made little to no mistakes all afternoon. When the final whistle was blown, the score was 3-11 to the visitors.

Kirkham got the first points of the game where they forced their way to the opponents 22. Some ill-discipline gave Cieran Milligan a shot at goal which was successful. Kirkham then found themselves under pressure and were caught offside giving the visitors a kick at posts (3-3). Kirkham put some phases together but failed to get through the QEGS defence. Kirkham again were caught offside after a great stint of defence. QEGS capitalised on this and went 3-6 up. QEGS finished the half by scoring an unconverted try (3-11).

Saturday 15 October

KGS U15s v Sandbach School U15s

Kirkham U15s (pictured right) travelled down to Sandbach School for their second away game of the season. The conditions were better suited to the U15s than the previous Wednesday. The final score was 0-43 to Kirkham after tries through Josh Sumner (2), Charlie Bray (2), Anton Gildea, Will Kelso and Lewis Simpson. The conversions were scored by Jack Wilsdon (2), Charlie Bray and Cieran Milligan.

In the first half, Callum Sumner scored two tries where he powered through tacklers and raced away to the try-line after some great team play. Charlie Bray also went over after a great driving maul. Kirkham were ferocious in defence and were able to regain the ball through excellent turnovers and counter rucking, especially from Callum Sumner, Archie Blackburn and Jenson Crompton.

The second half scoring started with Anton Gildea with a great individual try where he read the defence and skipped his way through, after attacking the broken defence. Charlie Bray then powered his way through from short distance. Will Kelso got on the score sheet after having some time off with an injury. The final try of the game was scored by Lewis Simpson, who received a well-weighted and timed miss pass from Tom Carey to finish the game 0-43.

Well done to all those involved in the squad and those who travelled to the game to spectate.

Going forward the U15s will be travelling to play Radley alongside the 1st XV. 

U13s (pictured left)

The U13s also made the trip to Sandbach where they were up against a highly motivated and physical team.

Starting well, KGS scored 2 tries thanks to Harry Walls and Ziad Hassan's powerful running.

Strong and spirited defence from Kirkham kept Sandbach out well and the blues managed to score 2 more just before half time through Jack Kelso and Jack Gillett.

The second half was an even affair with Kirkham winning 3 tries to 2. Freddie Wilshire, Finn Webster and Jack Gillett scoring the tries to close the game in a 35-10 victory.

Wednesday 19 October 2022

KGS U13s Rugby

Kirkham Grammar School U13s made the long journey to Asgarth School to feature in their inaugural rugby event which also included St. Peter's, York, RGS Newcastle, St John's Beaumont. In total KGS played four games, winning three, only losing to RGS Newcastle on a small pitch which helped their more direct play. KGS played some attractive running rugby with Louis Gildea, Jack Gillett and Captain, Jonty Faith, causing mayhem in the open spaces and Ziad Hassan, Jack Kelso and Harry Walls bringing some good physicality to the team.

Well done to all involved.

Tags: Sports 2022-2023