Kirkham Grammar School

Independent Co-Educational Day and Boarding School

Kirkham Grammar School Content Area

KGS Rugby Reports

KGS 1st XV vs Abingdon 1st XV


Won – 41-5


After a pleasing victory over Denstone College the previous weekend, Kirkham Grammar 1st XV continued their improvement with a 41-5 victory over Oxfordshire School Abingdon. The Kirkham forwards with Sam Dugdale leading the way were impressive and were able to take Abingdon on. However, it was the skill of fly half and Captain Kieran Wilkinson who opened the Abingdon defence with a sublime cross field kick which allowed winger Andrew Bulman to score the first try of the game. Further tries came from Dugdale and a fine individual try by centre Evan Powell gave Kirkham a comfortable half time lead.

Straight after half time, young winger Tom Giles gained his first try of the season. Despite Kirkham being in control it was Abingdon who scored next showing great character. This made Kirkham more determined and they again got in on the scoreboard as Andrew Bulman completed a hat-trick. A pleasing win again against good opposition.

KGS Headmasters 1st XV vs Manchester Grammar 1st XV


Lost – 26-7


KGS U15 vs Manchester Grammar U15


Lost- 24-0


Kirkham put up a very spirited performance against Manchester but a shaky first 20 minutes left them too much to do to try and claw back the 17-0 half time score line. Manchester started well and made sure they capitalized on some tentative Kirkham tackling, scoring three tries and converting one. Alex Carson marshalled the Kirkham backs with authority and kicked well at times but Manchester were a tough nut to crack and managed to keep Kirkham under pressure for the whole half.

Kirkham came out for the second half and played with much more cohesion, stringing more phases together and looked threatening more often than not. However, MGS were determined to protect their lead, tackling strongly.

With conditions underfoot worsening, mistakes became more frequent but Kirkham kept plugging away and were unfortunate to concede a try late on under their posts. There were solid performances from Max Pendergest and Harry Thomas in the Kirkham front row; Jason Choi looked very lively on the left wing.




KGS U14 A vs Cowley High U14 A


Won- 36-0


Last Thursday the U14 boys travelled to Merseyside to take on the famous Cowley High in St Helens. Kirkham dominated the first half scoring 5 unanswered tries. Try scorers were Tom Hoad, Tobias Parkinson (2), Yande Nkonge and Joe Medcalfe. Kirkham made a lot of changes in the second half, showing the strength in depth for the U14 year group. Kirkham scored one further try through scrum half Ethan Crompton.


KGS U14 A vs Manchester Grammar U14 A


Lost – 12-0


KGS U14 B vs Manchester Grammar U14 B


Draw – 5-5


The U14B team squad again turned up in numbers and twenty boys competed against a strong Manchester G S side who dominated the early play. It was only a resolute and committed defence that restricted Manchester to one try in the first half. In the second half, when Kirkham had stopped giving away silly penalties, they started to win more of the ball releasing the backs. It was a typical determined run from Harry Booth that saw him dive over in the corner. Unfortunately, Harry suffered an injury in scoring and we wish him a speedy recovery. The perseverance shown by the boys typified the true Kirkham spirit and again it was a pleasure to watch.


KGS U13 A vs Manchester Grammar U13 A

Won – 55-5

KGS U13 B vs Manchester Grammar U13 B

Won – 45-14

KGS U12 A vs Manchester Grammar U12 A

Won – 25-15

KGS U12 A travelled to Manchester Grammar School full of confidence following their narrow defeat to Denstone the week before. KGS started the game well and it seemed that the team has finally started to gel together. The passing play by Kirkham was good and they were strong in defence. Kirkham deservedly came out of this tough fixture as winners and it is very pleasing to see them get their first win of the season, which is a just reward for all of their hard work and efforts.

KGS U12 B vs Manchester Grammar U12 B

Lost – 25-20

KGS U12 B travelled to Manchester Grammar school looking forward to the game ahead. The game started at a fast pace and it was the hosts who enjoyed much of the early possession. KGS defended resiliently however, and kept the score at 0-0 until the 10 minute mark. Manchester had a couple of big boys who eventually broke down the KGS defence and lead to a half time score of MGS 15-0 KGS.

KGS responded excellently in the second half and started to maintain possession themselves and began to move the ball around nicely. This created a lot of space for scrum-half and Captain Sam Gornall who was able to run in 3 tries. Manchester also scored another two tries, again utilising their big players to take the score to 25-15 with 5 minutes to play. KGS continued to add pressure and Jacob Adjetey-Hilton scored a well worked try from a scrum but unfortunately for KGS it was enough. A solid effort by the KGS boys who I am sure will take a lot of positives from this game.