Kirkham Grammar School

Independent Co-Educational Day and Boarding School

Kirkham Grammar School Content Area

KGS Hockey Tournaments

KGS U14 First Round of the National Tournament.

An all-round brilliant day for the U14 KGS Girls, 5/5 wins and no goals conceded.

After completing the draw, KGS had a tough run, four games in a row! The tournament started a little shaky vs AKS. AKS defended heavily and prevented KGS from scoring for as long as possible. However, KGS showed determination and never gave up, they had majority of the possession and gained some attacking short corners. In the last couple of minutes of the game KGS managed to score a goal making the finishing score line 1-0!

Next the girls faced Rossall, KGS started strong and attacked from the off. It didn’t take long for the girls to get in their stride and start putting the goals away. They looked confident on the ball and put Rossall under mounts of pressure. Rossall defended well and their keeper persevered. However, KGS managed to end the game with a 3-0 win.

KGS now faced Ripley St Thomas: as the tournament progressed the girls gelled and started to play more and more as a team. They worked well for each other and were showing great positional play, their passes linked and they moved forward as a unit. With great movement upfront and attacking skills the girls managed to secure 5 goals finishing the game with a 5-0 win.

KGS again managed a 6-0 win against their next competitor, Stonyhurst College.

With our final game against Lytham High School, KGS needed to keep their momentum going and win this game in order to secure the tournament win. KGS were now on fire, moving the ball down the wings, moving well with the ball and off! The girls finished their chances and managed to win their final game with an impressive 7-0!

The day was an all-round team performance, the girls improved as the day went on and are raring to go for the next round! Congratulations U14’s!


U16 Report

The U16 squad were raring to go in the first round of the Investec Hockey Championships. It was always going to be a tough first round but KGS were ready.

In the first game it took the girls’ time to settle but once they did it was one way traffic! Although they had chances at goal the first game against AKS finished 0-0.

Ripley were up next and the KGS squad certainly didn't disappoint! With a draw in the first game it was crucial that the team put some real points on the board. Hannah Mears had one goal disallowed but followed this up by converting a penalty stroke.

Later in the game another well worked goal was converted leaving the final score at 2-0.

Stonyhurst College were next and the girls continued their winning ways with great build up play in the midfield. The game finished at 1-0 to KGS.

It was all down to the final game against Lytham. KGS were fired up and knew that a win would see them win the tournament and qualify for regional finals next month. From the start whistle the girls worked hard to maintain possession, playing the ball around the field to open up gaps up front. It wasn't long before Hannah Mears converted a well worked penalty corner from a straight strike from top D.

The Lytham High girls struggled to stay composed which opened up space for KGS to use. Another well worked goal secured a 2-0 win and qualification into the next round with our U14 and U18 squads!

A very successful week for the KGS Hockey girls!


U18 Investec Hockey Championships

Lancashire Round held at Stanley Park, Tues 10th October

The U18 squad were well prepared and ready to take to the pitch in the first round of the National Hockey Championships. With only four teams entered, it was always going to be a close competition and we were certainly not disappointed with the level of hockey played.

KGS met Stonyhurst College in the first game and although they dominated they found it difficult to find the back of the net! With chance after chance the girls dominated striking wide and high. At the final whistle the score remained at 0-0.

In the second game KGS met Rossall. The first half saw Rossall dominate and open the score line from a well worked penalty corner. Once KGS had settled, the tables turned with Kirkham creating several chances on goal. Charlotte McDonald dominated in the middle freeing up Alex Harwood up front to take on the goal keeper one on one. The final score was 0-2 which meant all was to play for in the final game against AKS.

From the start KGS looked dangerous but some sloppy defending allowed AKS to go 1-0 up. KGS hit back hard and camped out in the AKS defending half pressing the the 'D' and applying real pressure. KGS equalised before the half time break and were able to regroup quickly ready for the 2nd half.

An exciting and very competitive second half once again saw KGS take control. A great through ball from Lauren Williamson set Charlotte McDonald through on goal to slot the ball home resulting in a 2-1 for KGS.

The team now progress to the next round in early November.