In 1911 the school, originally sited in the town, moved to new buildings in its present location with the added advantage of a purpose built boarding facility. This consisted basically of two dormitories, one for junior boys, and one for senior boys, plus a few smaller studies. Photographs showing these early years hang in the Dining Room today. The Boarding House was run by the Headmaster and his wife, with the help of a resident Assistant Housemaster. Numbers were small, with many of the Boarders coming from farming families and later from the services. Much of the fresh produce on the daily menu was grown on site by the gardener in areas now occupied by Fenton House and the car park at the western end of the school.
In 1979 the school not only reverted back to Independent status and became co‑educational, but also accepted its first female Boarders. At first, the girls were housed in, what is now the junior boys' area on the second floor of the original building, but as the demand for female boarding steadily increased, new accommodation had to be provided. In 1984, the ground floor of Fenton House was opened, which offered six bedrooms, showers, toilets, boys' and girls' sick bays, together with living accommodation for a resident Houseparent. In 1988, a first floor was added, providing a further four junior bedrooms.
In 1991 Mr Summerlee, the Headmaster, retired and with him went the tradition of the Headmaster being resident in the boarding house. Mr Paul Smith acted as Housemaster for 17 years . Dr Mike Whalley, previously the Director of Sport at Kirkham, is now the Housemaster. The House has averaged around sixty five boarders and continues to be at the core of the school.